Last year I set a goal for myself to read 50 books in a year, and I ended up surpassing my goal: I read 70 books and 1 novella. (Yeah, baby!)
This year, I didn’t want to put that pressure on myself. It was fun reading that many books, but I felt pressure not to re-read old books that I love and that make me happy. So, to me, the 50 Book Pledge is a been-there, done-that kind of goal. Reading is supposed to be enjoyable and I intend on keeping it that way.
Instead, this year I am going to set 25 challenges for myself throughout 2015. I just wanted to get a bit more creative with my pledge. I’ve got shelves full of unread books (as my husband can confirm) and am looking forward to a bunch of new releases coming out in 2015. There are a few books that I have procrastinated reading (looking at Game of Thrones 4 and 5 here!), and I still want to get outside my comfort zone by reading books that aren’t within the genres I typically read, so I have indicated that in my pledge below as well. And as always, I’m open to recommendations, so please send any and all my way.
Looking forward to another year of reading and sharing it with you all!
Kelly’s 2015 Book Pledge
- Finish Game of Thrones Book 4. (Seriously, it may be the worst one, but I.need.to.finish.it)
- Read Game of Thrones Book 5. (I hear 5 is better than 4)
- Read two memoirs
- Re-read any favorite series I want (do this as many times as I want).
- Read a sci-fi book (Not typically my bag)
- Read a mystery
- Read a book that I was supposed to read in school but didn’t (Believe it or not, there were a few of these)
- Read a book with the word “fire” in the title.
- Read a book based on/turned into a TV show
- Read Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- Read a Pulitzer Prize-winning book
- Read a new book by an older, more established author
- Read a book that came out this year
- Read a book that my husband loves
- Read a health-related book
- Read a romance
- Read 5 YA books
- Read a book that promotes Feminism (even in an unconventional kind of way)
- Finish a series I started in 2014 (Looking at you Linger and Forever)
- Read Outlander
- Read a New Adult book
- Read two books by Cassandra Clare
- Read a Sarah Dessen novel
- Read something recommended by my nanny
- Continue reading the novels of my writing group peers